From Force to Form: Drawing from Delay
Note: This essay is an extended laboratory note: a record of thought emerging through drawing, perception, mediation, and material practice. I use the term Forensic Rhopography to describe a method I have developed through my research practice. The term has been part of my thinking since the 1990s, and this essay is one occasion through which I can follow what it has become in relation to Rodin.
Drawing Rodin’s The Thinker at the National Museum of Western Art led to an unexpected recognition within my research. I had initially understood drawing as a way of attending to the visible form of the sculpture. However, the act of drawing made me aware that I was following something more fundamental: the way force becomes perceptible through form.
In Rodin, force does not exist as a hidden interior concealed beneath the surface of the bronze. It is revealed through the organisation of the surface itself: through curvature, compression, weight, tension, balance, and direction. The body appears to hold and release force through the relations organised by its form.
The bronze seems to resonate from the inside out.
By this I do not mean that a literal interior force exists independently of the sculpture’s material form. The “inside” is instead a way of describing the organisation of relations through which the exterior becomes intelligible. The curvature of the back, the compression of the torso, the positioning of the limbs, and the distribution of weight do not simply describe a body. They make the body’s force perceptible.
The surface is therefore not separate from the force that animates it. The surface is where that force becomes materially legible.
This changed what I understood myself to be doing when I drew The Thinker. I was not simply trying to reproduce the bronze. I was trying to follow the relations through which force becomes visible as form. A contour became more than an outline. A curve began to register pressure. Pressure suggested weight; weight suggested balance; balance revealed tension. The act of drawing moved between these relations.
I was drawing the figure from the inside out—not by moving beneath the surface toward a hidden essence, but by moving through the visible form toward the organisation that made its force perceptible.
Forensic Rhopography
The starting point for my use of Forensic Rhopography was Norman Bryson’s Looking at the Overlooked: Four Essays on Still Life Painting, published in 1990. The book includes a chapter titled “Rhopography,” in which Bryson examines still-life painting and the historical distinction between subjects regarded as important and those treated as minor or insignificant.[moma]
That was the original idea that interested me:
looking at the overlooked.
My use of the term, however, developed into something different.
I was already using Forensic Rhopography in my own research and writing in the 1990s. At the time, my professor advised me that I needed to explain what I meant by the term. That was useful advice because the word “forensic” was not decorative. It described a particular way of working.
I was not simply interested in finding things that had been overlooked.
I was interested in examining the overlooked as evidence.
For me, “forensic” means following traces, conditions, and consequences in order to reconstruct something that is not immediately apparent. I take something that may initially appear minor or secondary and examine it closely enough to see whether it leads somewhere else.
The overlooked therefore becomes a point of entry.
This is where my use of rhopography moves beyond simply identifying neglected subject matter. I am interested in what happens when the overlooked is followed into another territory of perception.
The established account becomes the starting point rather than the destination.
I might begin with an established object, image, motif, material, or way of seeing. I then examine what has been passed over as secondary: a photograph, a screen, an altered scale, a small support, a minor mark, an interruption, a resistance in the hand, or a discrepancy between what I expected to see and what actually happened while making.
These things can appear incidental.
Forensic Rhopography asks what happens if I refuse to treat them as incidental.
The minor becomes evidence.
The trace becomes significant because of what it may reveal.
The movement can therefore be described as:
established → overlooked trace → forensic examination → perceptual displacement → new territory
This is important to my practice because I am not simply trying to recover something that art history has forgotten. I am interested in what the investigation itself produces.
The question is not only:
What was overlooked?
It is also:
What happens when I examine it?
And then:
Where does that examination take me that I could not previously see?
This is how Forensic Rhopography has operated in my research.
The photograph might initially appear merely to document the sculpture. The laptop screen might appear merely to be the device from which I happened to draw. The altered scale might appear to be a technical consequence. The movement of the hand might appear to be simply the means by which the drawing is produced. The difficulty of a particular mark might appear to be a problem of technique.
But if I follow these things closely, their status changes.
The photograph is not simply a record.
The screen is not simply a technical device.
The hand is not simply an instrument for reproducing what the eye has already seen.
The resistance of the mark is not simply failure.
Each can become evidence of something happening between perception and manifestation.
This is also how my practice has led into territories that I could not have named at the beginning. My discovery of what I have called Object Painting, for example, did not come from starting with an established category and attempting to illustrate it. It emerged through following the object beyond its established role and examining what became possible when its material and perceptual conditions were treated differently.
Forensic Rhopography therefore names a method of moving from what is established toward what has not yet been perceived.
It is not simply:
look at the overlooked.
It is:
look at the overlooked, examine its traces, follow its consequences, and see where they lead.
The method is forensic because the investigation proceeds through evidence. It is rhopographic because it begins by taking seriously what might otherwise be passed over.
Drawing from Delay
This is where the notion of delay becomes important.
Delay does not mean a measurable period between seeing and making. Nor does it describe an empty interval in which nothing happens. It names the difference produced when an encountered form is transformed through another act of making.
My encounter began with Rodin as bronze: mass, contour, shadow, curvature, and posture. However, the drawing itself did not take place directly before the sculpture. I made a digital image of the sculpture and drew from that image on the screen of my laptop.
The sculpture was therefore encountered through several manifestations.
The bronze became a photograph.
The photograph became a screen image.
The screen image became a movement of the hand.
The movement became a mark.
The mark became a new perception.
The sequence might therefore be described as:
bronze → photograph → screen image → perception → hand movement → mark → recognition
The digital image did not simply preserve the sculpture. It altered the conditions through which the sculpture could be perceived. The bronze was flattened into an image, reframed, scaled, illuminated by the screen, and separated from its physical mass. Its material presence was displaced, while certain aspects of its contour, shadow, curvature, and posture remained available.
The screen became another site of manifestation.
I was not drawing the sculpture in its direct material presence, but neither was I drawing an image unrelated to it. I was drawing a mediated manifestation of the sculpture: an image that retained certain aspects of the bronze while transforming others.
This is where the forensic dimension becomes important.
The laptop screen might initially seem like a minor condition of the drawing. But once I attend to it, I can no longer treat it as neutral. It altered the scale, framing, luminosity, and material conditions through which the sculpture became available to me.
What appeared technically secondary became conceptually decisive.
The photograph was not the sculpture.
The screen image was not the photograph.
The drawing was not the screen image.
Yet each remained connected to the others through transformation.
This gives delay a further meaning.
Delay is not only the difference between encountering the sculpture and drawing it. It is also the difference between the sculpture and each form through which it becomes available to perception.
The sequence does not describe a passage through time. It describes a series of material and perceptual differences. Each manifestation preserves something of the preceding one while also altering it.
When I draw, I encounter the sculpture again through the screen. The curve that I initially see becomes a movement of the hand. The movement becomes a line. The line begins to register pressure, direction, resistance, and weight.
Something has changed.
The drawing does not reproduce my first encounter with the sculpture.
It transforms it.
A curvature seen in bronze becomes movement in the hand. Movement becomes a mark. The mark then changes what I can see in the sculpture. The act of drawing produces a recognition that was not fully present in the initial act of looking.
This is what I mean by drawing from delay.
Delay is not an empty space between seeing and making as two separate moments. It is the non-coincidence between what is encountered and what becomes perceptible through making.
The sculpture is encountered one way, mediated another way, and drawn yet another way.
Through this difference, something becomes newly visible.
Delay therefore does not merely postpone recognition.
It produces the possibility of recognition.
Rodin: Force Through Curvature
Rodin makes this especially evident because the figure appears to be generated through force.
The Thinker is not simply a body placed into a posture. The posture itself is the organisation through which physical and psychological intensity becomes visible.
Thought appears as bodily pressure.
Weight becomes concentration.
Compression becomes psychological intensity.
The figure does not first possess an idea and then illustrate that idea through its body. The idea becomes perceptible through the physical organisation of the body.
This is particularly apparent in the curvature of the figure.
The curve does not merely describe the boundary of the body. It carries the pressure and direction of the relations organised within the pose. The surface bends because the figure is structurally organised in a particular way.
The curvature therefore becomes a kind of resonance.
The bronze does not contain force as a separate substance. It resonates with force through the relations established by its form.
Drawing made this apparent to me because the hand cannot simply copy curvature without responding to what that curvature is doing.
To follow the curve is to encounter its direction, pressure, weight, and resistance.
The line becomes a way of testing the organisation of the form.
The act of drawing moves through the mediated surface toward the organisation of force that the surface makes perceptible, and then returns to visibility through the mark.
It is not:
surface → hidden interior → force
It is:
encountered form → mediation → relational organisation → perceived force → mark → renewed perception
This movement is not linear.
Each part continually alters the others.
The curvature produces the mark, but the mark also reveals aspects of the curvature that were not available to the initial look.
Apeiron and Manifestation
This recognition gives a more precise meaning to my use of the Apeiron.
I do not understand the Apeiron as a hidden substance lying behind visible things. In my use of the term, it is a way of thinking about an inexhaustible potential from which determinate manifestations arise.
A determinate form does not exhaust the potential from which it emerges.
Rodin’s figure is determinate. It has a particular posture, mass, contour, and material presence. Yet the force made perceptible through that organisation cannot be reduced to one final description.
The figure manifests force without turning force into a separate object.
The Apeiron, then, is not what lies behind the sculpture. It concerns the inexhaustibility that becomes temporarily determinate through the sculpture and through the different manifestations that follow from it.
The force becomes visible through form without being exhausted by form.
This also prevents the distinction between inside and outside from becoming too literal.
The “inside” is not another hidden realm.
It is the relational organisation that becomes perceptible through the outside.
Rodin’s bronze resonates from the inside out because what appears externally already carries an organisation of force. The internal does not exist apart from the external. It is the intelligibility of the external form considered through its relations.
The digital image does not cancel this relation.
It transforms it.
The screen becomes another surface through which the organisation of the sculpture can be encountered, displaced, and reconstructed.
Actus: Perception Becomes Action
This is where the drawing connects to what I am calling Actus Theory.
Actus does not begin with a completed theory imposed upon the artwork. It begins with manifestation as something that occurs through action.
I encounter the sculpture.
I photograph it.
The photograph becomes a screen image.
I respond to that image.
The response becomes a mark.
The mark changes my perception.
That altered perception produces another mark.
Material resistance changes the action, and the changed action produces another perception.
The work therefore emerges through reciprocal transformation.
The drawing is not the execution of an idea that existed fully formed before the pencil touched the paper. Nor is it simply a record of what I initially saw.
It is a material event produced through perception, mediation, response, adjustment, and resistance.
Each mark changes the conditions for the next.
Actus describes the movement through which something becomes manifest through perception and material action. It is not the application of a prior theory, but the formation of something through an encounter between intention, perception, technology, and material.
The sculpture is one manifestation.
The photograph becomes another.
The screen image becomes another.
The drawing becomes another.
The drawing does not preserve the sculpture unchanged. It transforms the encounter with the sculpture into another material event.
Forensic Rhopography provides the method for tracing these transformations through their material and perceptual consequences.
Actus names the manifestation produced through action.
Delay names the difference between manifestations.
Recognition Through Resistance
The most important consequence of drawing Rodin was not that I learned to represent the figure more accurately.
It was that drawing revealed something about how recognition takes place.
I do not necessarily recognise the force of The Thinker simply by looking at it.
I recognise it through trying to draw it.
The act of drawing introduces resistance between perception and representation. A curve that seems obvious when looking at the sculpture—or at its digital image—becomes difficult to reproduce.
Its difficulty forces attention.
I begin to ask what the curve is doing.
Why does it turn here?
What pressure does it contain?
How does it relate to the weight of the torso?
How does it carry the tension of the pose?
The difficulty of the mark becomes a form of knowledge.
The drawing does not simply represent what I already know. It produces knowledge through the resistance between what I see and what I can make.
This is the significance of delay.
The difference between encounter and manifestation creates the conditions for discovery.
The drawing therefore does not clarify an already completed perception. It reorganises perception through the act of making. What I can see is altered by what I attempt to draw, and what I draw is altered by what becomes visible through the attempt.
From Force to Mark
This also clarifies why I increasingly think of painting as a form of calligraphy in oil paint.
A painted mark is not merely an indication of an object. It is the material consequence of an action. Its pressure, direction, speed, thickness, curvature, interruption, and accumulation register something of the movement through which perception has become material.
The mark carries two things simultaneously: what it depicts and the action through which it came into being.
A painted curve can describe the curvature of a body, but it can also carry something of the force that the body expresses. The mark becomes another site in which force is organised and made perceptible.
The surface of the painting is consequently not simply a final layer placed over an underlying idea. It is where the idea has been transformed through action.
Every mark is a consequence.
It records not simply what was intended, but what occurred between intention and manifestation: pressure, adjustment, resistance, correction, hesitation, and discovery.
The surface becomes the visible record of these transformations.
Painting therefore becomes calligraphic in the sense that the mark retains the movement of its production. It is not only a sign of an object. It is also a sign of the action through which the object has been perceived and materially re-formed.
From Potential to Manifestation
Rodin’s The Thinker therefore became more than a subject for drawing. It became a way of understanding the relation between potential, force, form, mediation, perception, and action.
The Apeiron names, for me, the inexhaustible potential from which determinate manifestations arise.
Actus names the process through which something becomes manifest through perception and material action.
Delay names the difference produced when one manifestation is encountered and transformed through another act.
Forensic Rhopography names the method of tracing these transformations through their material and perceptual consequences.
These are not four sequential stages.
They are four aspects of the same investigation.
The force is not first hidden, then revealed, and finally represented. It becomes perceptible through the organisation of form, and that form becomes the starting point for another act of perception and making.
Rodin’s bronze therefore resonates from the inside out. Its curvature, compression, weight, and tension make force perceptible without separating force from form. The digital image mediates this relation, and drawing transforms it again.
The drawing begins with a materially mediated form but does not end with its reproduction. It follows the form toward the organisation of force that the form makes perceptible. Then it returns to the visible as a mark.
This is why drawing from delay is not drawing from waiting. It is not about the passage of time between an encounter and an image. It is about the difference between what is encountered and what becomes manifest through another act.
That difference is where drawing takes place.
Perhaps this is what drawing Rodin ultimately taught me: form does not conceal force. Form is the way force becomes perceptible. The task of drawing is therefore not to penetrate behind appearance, but to attend so closely to appearance—and to the minor conditions through which appearance is mediated—that the forces organised within it begin to resonate through the act of making.
The movement is from form to the organisation of force, from perception into action, and from action into another material manifestation.
What began for me with the instruction to explain what I meant by looking at the overlooked has become a way of following the overlooked through the actual conditions of practice.
The screen.
The photograph.
The hand.
The mark.
The resistance.
The delay.
The recognition.
These are not merely peripheral details surrounding the artwork.
They are traces of its becoming.
Forensic Rhopography names the practice of tracing that movement. Drawing from delay is drawing from the difference that the tracing reveals.
力から形へ──遅延から描くこと
注記: 本稿は、素描・知覚・媒介・素材的実践を通して思考がどのように立ち上がるかを記録した「ラボノート」です。ここでは、私が研究実践の中で発展させてきた 法科学的ロポグラフィ(Forensic Rhopography) という方法を用いています。この語は1990年代から私の思考の一部であり、ロダンとの関係の中でそれがどのように展開してきたかを辿る試みでもあります。
注記: 本稿は、素描・知覚・媒介・素材的実践を通して思考がどのように立ち上がるかを記録した「ラボノート」です。ここでは、私が研究実践の中で発展させてきた 法科学的ロポグラフィ(Forensic Rhopography) という方法を用いています。この語は1990年代から私の思考の一部であり、ロダンとの関係の中でそれがどのように展開してきたかを辿る試みでもあります。
国立西洋美術館でロダンの《考える人》を描いたことは、私の研究に予期せぬ認識をもたらしました。私は当初、素描とは彫刻の可視的な形態に注意を向ける行為だと理解していました。しかし、描くという行為そのものが、より根源的なもの──力が形を通して知覚可能になる仕組み──を追っていることに気づいたのです。
ロダンにおいて、力はブロンズの表面の下に隠れた内部として存在しているわけではありません。力は、表面そのものの組織化を通して現れます。曲線、圧縮、重量、緊張、均衡、方向──身体は、その形態が組織する諸関係を通して力を保持し、解放しているように見えます。
ブロンズは内側から響いているように感じられます。
ここで言う「内側」とは、形態の外側を理解可能にする諸関係の組織化を指します。背中の曲線、胴体の圧縮、四肢の配置、重量の分布は、単に身体を記述するのではなく、身体の力を知覚可能にしています。
したがって、表面は力と切り離されたものではありません。表面こそが力が物質的に可視化される場所なのです。
この認識は、私が《考える人》を描く際に何をしていたのかを変えました。私は単にブロンズを再現しようとしていたのではありません。力が形として可視化される関係を追おうとしていたのです。輪郭は単なるアウトラインではなくなり、曲線は圧力を示し、圧力は重量を示し、重量は均衡を示し、均衡は緊張を示します。描く行為はこれらの関係の間を往復しました。
私は、表面の下に隠れた本質へ向かうのではなく、可視的な形態を通して、その力を知覚可能にする組織化へ向かうという意味で、内側から描いていたのです。
法科学的ロポグラフィ(Forensic Rhopography)
私がこの語を使うきっかけとなったのは、ノーマン・ブライソンの著書 Looking at the Overlooked(1990)でした。そこには「ロポグラフィ」という章があり、静物画における「重要とされる主題」と「取るに足らないとされる主題」の歴史的区別が論じられています。
当初私が興味を持ったのは、次のような発想でした。
見過ごされたものを見ること。
しかし、私の用法はそこから発展し、別の方向へ向かいました。
1990年代、私はすでに自分の研究や文章の中で法科学的ロポグラフィという語を使っていました。当時、教授から「その語の意味を説明する必要がある」と助言されました。確かに「法科学的」という語は飾りではなく、特定の働き方を示していたのです。
私は単に見過ごされたものを探していたのではありません。
見過ごされたものを「証拠」として調べることに関心があったのです。
「法科学的」とは、痕跡・条件・結果を辿り、すぐには見えない何かを再構成することを意味します。初めは些細に見えるものを、どこまで辿ると別の領域が開けるのかを調べるのです。
見過ごされたものは入口になります。
ここで私のロポグラフィは、単に「軽視された主題を扱う」ことを越えます。私は、見過ごされたものを辿ることで、別の知覚領域が立ち上がる瞬間に関心があります。
既存の説明は出発点であり、目的地ではありません。
私は既存の対象・画像・モチーフ・素材・見方から始めます。そして、二次的だと見なされてきたもの──写真、画面、縮尺の変化、小さな支持体、微細な線、途切れ、手の抵抗、期待と実際のズレ──を調べます。
これらは一見すると「些細なこと」に見えます。
法科学的ロポグラフィは、それらを些細なものとして扱うことを拒否します。
些細なものが証拠になります。
痕跡は、何かを示す可能性があるから重要になるのです。
この運動は次のように記述できます。
既存 → 見過ごされた痕跡 → 法科学的調査 → 知覚のずれ → 新しい領域
私は単に「忘れられたものを回収する」ことに興味があるのではありません。 調査そのものが何を生み出すかに興味があるのです。
遅延から描くこと
遅延とは、見ることと描くことの間の空白ではありません。 遭遇した形態が、別の行為によって再び現れるときに生じる差異です。
私の遭遇はまずブロンズとしてのロダンから始まりました。しかし、素描は彫刻の前で直接行われたわけではありません。私は彫刻を撮影し、その画像を画面で見ながら描きました。
ブロンズは写真になり、写真は画面画像になり、画面画像は手の動きになり、動きは線になり、線は新しい知覚になりました。
この連鎖は次のように記述できます。
ブロンズ → 写真 → 画面画像 → 知覚 → 手の動き → 線 → 認識
画面は彫刻の条件を変えました。 縮尺、光、質量、距離──すべてが変わりました。
私は彫刻そのものを描いていたのではなく、媒介された彫刻の現れを描いていたのです。
ここで法科学的な視点が重要になります。
画面は「些細な条件」ではありませんでした。 それは、彫刻が私にどのように現れるかを決定する要素だったのです。
遅延は、彫刻とその各段階の「現れ」の差異でもあります。
遅延は認識を遅らせるのではありません。 認識の可能性を生み出します。
ロダン──曲線を通して現れる力
《考える人》は、力によって生成されているように見えます。
姿勢そのものが、身体的・心理的な強度を可視化する組織化です。
曲線は境界を記述するだけではありません。 曲線は、姿勢の内部に組織された力の方向と圧力を運んでいます。
ブロンズは力を別の物質として保持しているのではありません。 形態が組織する関係を通して力が響いているのです。
描く行為は、この曲線の方向、圧力、重量、抵抗を手で辿ることになります。
アペイロン──潜勢から現れへ
アペイロンとは、可視的なものの背後にある隠れた物質ではありません。 有限の形態がそこから生まれ、そこへ戻る「尽きることのない潜勢」です。
形態は力を可視化しますが、力を尽きさせるわけではありません。
アクタス──知覚が行為になるとき
アクタスは、完成した理論を適用することではありません。 知覚と行為を通して何かが現れる運動そのものです。
彫刻 → 写真 → 画面 → 線 → 認識 この連鎖は、行為によって現れが変形され続ける運動です。
抵抗による認識
素描が教えてくれた最も重要なことは、正確な再現ではなく、認識がどのように生じるかでした。
曲線は見るだけでは理解できません。 描こうとすると抵抗が生じます。 抵抗が注意を強制します。 注意が問いを生みます。 問いが認識を生みます。
線の困難さが知識になるのです。
力から線へ
絵画は油彩による書のようなものだと感じるようになりました。
線は対象の記号ではなく、行為の結果です。 線は対象を示すと同時に、行為を示します。
潜勢から現れへ
《考える人》は、潜勢・力・形態・媒介・知覚・行為の関係を理解するための契機となりました。
アペイロンは潜勢。 アクタスは現れの運動。 遅延は現れ同士の差異。 法科学的ロポグラフィはその差異を辿る方法。
結論
形態は力を隠しません。 形態は力が知覚可能になる仕組みです。
描くことの課題は、外観の背後に潜ることではありません。 外観に十分に注意を向けることで、形態に組織された力が、行為を通して響き始める瞬間を捉えることです。
スクリーン。 写真。 手。 線。 抵抗。 遅延。 認識。
これらは作品の周辺にある「付随物」ではありません。
作品が生成される痕跡です。
法科学的ロポグラフィは、その痕跡を辿る方法です。 遅延から描くとは、その痕跡が示す差異から描くことなのです。
