Cézanne Was a Beginning
I do not mean that painting began with Cézanne, nor that he was the first painter to question the conventions of his epoch. Painting has an enormous history before him. What I mean is that, for me as a painter, Cézanne represents a beginning in the development of a particular language: one in which the relationship between seeing, the sensation from the motif, and the painted mark becomes unstable, active, and unresolved.
Cézanne was a remarkable painter, though I would not describe him as a theorist in the conventional sense. His deepest thinking took place through painting itself and in the letters he wrote afterward. His terminology of praxis was the language of the canvas: colour, structure, modulation, repetition, hesitation, construction, and the persistent confrontation with the motif. What he could not formulate philosophically, he investigated materially through paint.
This distinction matters because Cézanne remained deeply bound to the external motif. He looked at the world before him and returned to it repeatedly. The mountain, the landscape, the apples, and, less frequently, the human figure were not simply subjects to be represented, but presences with which painting had to contend. His extraordinary achievement was to transform the act of painting without abandoning this encounter.
The motif remained there. Yet the painting became something other than a straightforward description of it.
Cézanne’s temperament entered the encounter. His particular way of seeing and handling paint altered the relationship between the observed world and the canvas surface. The motif became unstable, colour became structural, and form was continually established and re-established. His work remains within the process of becoming rather than arriving at a conventional resolution.
For me, this is where Cézanne establishes a painterly language. But it is not where my own painting begins.
The Condition After Perception
My studio experience has led me toward another condition: the state that occurs after the motif has entered perception.
When I work from a digital photograph of my own face, I do not experience the source simply as an image to look at and reproduce. At times, the face enters perception through what I can only describe as linear slices. I follow edges, tonal boundaries, directional relations, and fragments of structure. The image appears to arrive sequentially, as though perception is tracking across it in delayed movements.
At other moments, perception behaves entirely differently.
There can be a sudden flood of colour. Strong illumination on the skin can produce an almost physical sensation of chromatic force plunging into the retina. It is not experienced as a collection of separate hues, but as an inundation, a saturation—more a wave than an image.
I understand these experiences as impact and scintillation:
Impact is the force of the encounter—the moment the visual event enters perception.
Scintillation is what happens as that event continues to act. The sensation does not simply vanish when the eye moves on; it flickers, changes, intensifies, fragments, and reappears.
This dynamic generates what I call painterly delay.
In painterly delay, the motif is no longer present before me in the original sense. It has already entered perception, but it has not ceased to exist. It persists within the interval between seeing and making. During this delay, the motif transforms: what endures is no longer the static external image, but its ongoing perceptual activity.
The Field of Apeiron
It is within this interval that I locate Apeiron.
Apeiron is neither a storehouse of images nor simply memory. I understand it as an indeterminate field in which the effects of perception remain active before becoming materially resolved. The linear slices and chromatic floods, the impacts and scintillations, the remembered relations and fluctuating intensities all continue to interact there.
The next mark emerges directly from this condition.
This shifts the relationship between the motif and the painted surface. While Cézanne’s encounter might be understood as:
My own experience suggests an extended sequence:
In this process, painting does not merely record the initial encounter with a subject; it gives material form to the restless, indeterminate life the motif takes on once perception has absorbed it.
セザンヌは「始まり」であった
私が言いたいのは、絵画がセザンヌから始まったということでも、彼が自らの時代の慣習を最初に問い直した画家だということでもない。絵画には彼以前に膨大な歴史がある。私が意味しているのは、画家としての私にとって、セザンヌはある特定の言語の「始まり」を示しているということである。そこでは、見ること、モチーフからの感覚、そして描かれた筆触の関係が不安定で、能動的で、未解決のまま揺れ動いている。
セザンヌは卓越した画家であったが、私は彼を通常の意味での理論家とは呼ばない。彼の最も深い思考は、絵画そのものの中で、そしてその後に書かれた書簡の中で行われた。彼の実践の言語はキャンバスの言語であった。色、構造、調子の変化、反復、ためらい、構築、そしてモチーフとの持続的な対峙。哲学的に言語化できなかったことを、彼は絵具によって物質的に探究した。
この区別は重要である。セザンヌは外部のモチーフに深く結びついたままであった。彼は目の前の世界を見つめ、何度もそこへ戻った。山、風景、林檎、そしてより稀に描かれた人物は、単なる再現すべき対象ではなく、絵画が対峙しなければならない「現前」であった。彼の驚くべき達成は、この対峙を捨てることなく、絵画行為そのものを変容させたことである。
モチーフはそこに存在し続けた。しかし絵画は、その単純な記述とは異なるものになった。
セザンヌの気質がその対峙に入り込んだ。彼独自の見方と絵具の扱い方が、観察された世界とキャンバス表面の関係を変化させた。モチーフは不安定になり、色は構造となり、形は絶えず確立され、再確立された。彼の作品は、伝統的な解決へ到達するのではなく、常に生成の過程の中に留まっている。
私にとって、ここにセザンヌが画家の言語を確立した地点がある。しかし、私自身の絵画はここから始まるわけではない。
知覚の後に訪れる状態
私の制作経験は、モチーフが知覚へ入り込んだ「その後」に生じる状態へと私を導いてきた。
自分の顔のデジタル写真をもとに制作するとき、私はその画像を単に見て再現する対象として経験しているわけではない。ある時、顔は「線的な断片」として知覚へ入ってくる。私は縁、調子の境界、方向性の関係、構造の断片を追う。知覚が遅れながら画像の上を追跡しているかのように、像が連続的に到来するのである。
別の瞬間には、知覚はまったく異なる振る舞いをする。
突然の色の奔流が起こることがある。強い光が肌に当たると、網膜へ突き刺さるような色彩的な力のほとばしりを、ほぼ物理的な感覚として生じさせる。それは個別の色の集まりとしてではなく、浸潤、飽和、波として経験される。
私はこれらの経験を インパクト と シンチレーション として理解している。
インパクト は、視覚的出来事が知覚へ侵入する瞬間の力である。
シンチレーション は、その出来事が作用し続ける過程である。感覚は眼が移動した瞬間に消えるのではなく、ちらつき、変化し、強まり、断片化し、再び現れる。
この動態が、私が 絵画的遅延(painterly delay) と呼ぶものを生み出す。
絵画的遅延において、モチーフはもはや元の意味で目の前に存在していない。それはすでに知覚へ入り込んでいるが、消滅したわけではない。見ることと描くことのあいだの間隔の中で持続している。この遅延の中で、モチーフは変容する。持続するのは静的な外部像ではなく、その知覚的活動の継続である。
アペイロンの場
私はこの間隔の中に アペイロン を位置づけている。
アペイロンはイメージの貯蔵庫でも単なる記憶でもない。私はそれを、知覚の作用が物質的に解決される前に、なお活動し続ける不定形の場として理解している。線的断片や色の奔流、インパクトとシンチレーション、記憶された関係性や揺れ動く強度が、そこで相互に作用し続ける。
次の筆触は、この状態から直接生まれる。
これによって、モチーフと描かれた表面の関係は変化する。セザンヌの対峙が次のように理解されるとすれば、
私自身の経験は、より拡張された連鎖を示している。
この過程において、絵画は単に最初の遭遇を記録するのではなく、モチーフが知覚に吸収された後に生じる、落ち着くことのない不定形の生命を物質化するのである。