
Painting after journeys to and from Akashi, across years and seasons, the landscape’s visual data is continually reimagined through perception—broken into perceptual dissections and floods of hue, tone, texture, and colour. Whether saturated by sunlight or illuminated by the full moon, these sensations continue to live within what I call Apeiron.
In Apeironic Nishi‑ku Landscape, I initially intended to render a predetermined image of a cloudless blue sky. That intention did not survive the opening painting session within what I describe as Apeiron’s studio praxis. Something else began to happen. The painting moved away from the image I had imagined. Apeiron accumulated and reimagined the visual information, moving toward Scintillation, and the work was driven elsewhere. Summer cloud shadows became present on a winter landscape. The original intention was overtaken by another visual condition.
Why this phenomenon occurs, I do not claim to know. I can only observe that it happens repeatedly. Something develops within the act of painting, evolves through the encounter with the visual field, and begins to suggest another possible outcome. The painting can appear to think beyond the intention with which I began it. The predetermined image is not simply abandoned; it is transformed through perception, sensation, memory, and material action. This is not an isolated occurrence. It belongs to the perceptual praxis I recognise in Cézanne, while also marking the point at which my own practice begins to diverge from my reading of his.
I do not mean that painting began with Cézanne, nor that he was the first painter to question the conventions of his time. Painting has an immense history before him. I mean that, for me as a painter, Cézanne represents a beginning in the development of a particular language—one in which the relationship between seeing, sensation, and the painted mark becomes unstable, active, and unresolved. His thinking was expressed through painting and through the letters and reflections that accompanied his practice. His most important language remained the dialect of paint traces on the canvas: colour, structure, modulation, repetition, hesitation, construction, and the continual confrontation with the motif.
Yet I think this may only be part of what was happening. I suspect that Cézanne was achieving painterly traces through something like what I call Apeiron, far more than has perhaps been recognised. I offer this not as historical certainty, but as a possibility that becomes visible when I look at his paintings from within my own experience of painting. In Cézanne’s use of the term, as I understand it, the motif becomes more than a subject to be depicted. It becomes an initiating presence with which the painter continually contends. Sensation becomes part of the lived visual response to that presence and to the act of painting itself.
A good example, for me, is The Garden at Les Lauves. The painting has been widely discussed within Post‑Impressionism and in relation to Cézanne’s sustained engagement with landscape. My own reading, however, is that the painting can be experienced as something more than observational transcription. For me, it appears to have moved deeply into what I call Apeiron. Observation may have been a point of departure, but it does not fully account, in my reading, for the scale and character of the patches of hue—purples, pale blue‑purples, greyish blues, violets, raw umbers, peach tones, and deep viridian greens. These passages seem to exceed straightforward description. They suggest a process in which perception becomes increasingly active and transformative. I describe this as Scintillation emerging from Apeiron and moving toward Cézanne’s own uncharted horizons in painting.
I do not present this as a definitive historical explanation of Cézanne’s method, nor as a replacement for established art‑historical interpretations. It is a personal reading formed through my experience as a practicing painter and through attention to the material language of his paintings. What could not always be formulated philosophically can sometimes be approached through the material decisions visible in the work. Cézanne’s achievement, as I understand it, was to transform the encounter with the motif without abandoning it. The motif remained present, yet the painting became something other than a straightforward description. His way of seeing and handling paint altered the relationship between the observed world and the canvas. The motif became unstable; colour became structural; form was continually established and re‑established. The painting remained within a process of becoming. For me, this is where Cézanne establishes a painterly language. But it is not where my own painting ends.
My studio experience has led me toward another condition: what occurs after the motif has entered perception. When I work from a digital photograph of my own face, I do not experience the source simply as an image to be reproduced. At times, the face enters perception through what I can only describe as linear slices—edges, tonal boundaries, directional relations, fragments of structure. The image seems to arrive sequentially, as though perception is tracking across it through delayed movements. At other moments, perception behaves differently. There can be a sudden flood of colour. Strong illumination may produce an almost physical sensation of chromatic force entering the retina. The experience is not necessarily one of separate hues; it can be an inundation, a saturation—more wave than image.
I understand these experiences through the terms Impact and Scintillation. Impact is the force of the encounter. Scintillation is what follows as the event continues to act—flickering, intensifying, fragmenting, and reappearing. It does not simply disappear when the eye moves elsewhere. This generates what I call painterly Delay. During this interval, the motif changes. What remains is no longer simply the external image but its continuing perceptual activity.
It is within this interval that I locate Apeiron. I use the term to name an indeterminate field in which the effects of perception remain active before becoming materially resolved. It is neither a storehouse of images nor simply memory. Linear slices and chromatic floods, impacts and scintillations, remembered relations and fluctuating intensities continue to interact there. The next mark emerges from this condition. I do not claim to know precisely what Apeiron is. It is a working term that has emerged from the necessity of painting and from repeated experiences in the studio. I recognise its effects before I can fully explain its mechanism. This uncertainty is important. Apeiron is not intended as a scientific claim or a definitive philosophical proposition. It is not a theory imposed upon the painting from outside. It is an attempt to give language to something that happens within painting before I fully understand it.
This changes the relationship between motif and surface. Cézanne’s encounter might be provisionally understood as:
Motif → Sensation → Painted Mark
My own experience extends the sequence:
Motif → Impact → Scintillation → Apeiron / Delay → Actus → Painted Mark
The difference is temporal as much as visual. Painting does not merely record the initial encounter. In my practice, it gives material form to what the motif becomes once perception has absorbed it and the visual event continues to act.
The Nishi‑ku landscape is one such record. The blue sky was predetermined. It did not remain so. The internal dynamics of Apeiron overtook the initial intention, moving toward Scintillation and finally toward Actus. The resulting work records not simply what was seen, but what happened to seeing.
This is where my practice diverges from my reading of Cézanne. His achievement remains closely associated with his sustained confrontation with the motif. My own practice moves further into the interval that follows. The external motif becomes less an anchor than an initiating event. What interests me is what happens once the visual encounter has entered perception—how sensation persists, fragments, transforms, accumulates, and eventually becomes action in paint.
I do not see my practice as contradicting Cézanne. I see it as extending a problem that I recognise in his work. His paintings demonstrate, to my reading, that the act of painting cannot be separated from the instability of perception. My concern is what happens within that instability before the next mark is made. That is the interval.
Art history has approached Cézanne through Impressionism, Post‑Impressionism, Cubism, modernism, formalism, and phenomenology. These perspectives provide valuable contexts for understanding his work. From the position of the practicing painter, however, another dimension becomes apparent: the temporal experience of making. Cézanne’s hesitations, repetitions, revisions, and multiple viewpoints can be understood in several ways. In my reading, they can also be approached as traces of sensation being worked through before becoming a definitive mark. The surface records a negotiation between perception and material action. What interests me is the temporal dimension of that negotiation. The question is not only how sensation becomes paint, but what happens to sensation between its arrival and its material resolution.
Apeiron, Delay, Scintillation, Impact, and Actus are terms through which I describe that condition from within my own practice. They are not offered as historical explanations of Cézanne, nor as replacements for established art‑historical interpretations. They are working terms. They have emerged through the necessity of painting and through my attempt to articulate what occurs in the studio when an initial visual intention is overtaken by another perceptual event.
Cézanne shows me a beginning in which sensation destabilises the relationship between motif and mark. My practice begins further inside the interval—in the condition after perception, where the motif continues to act before the painted mark arrives. The painting is where that unresolved activity finally becomes material. The dust does not need to be swept away by more theory. It is already at work in the paint.
ピーター・デイヴィッドソン
明石への往復を重ね、季節をまたぎながら制作を続けていると、風景から得られる視覚的データは知覚によって絶えず再構成されていく。色相、トーン、質感、色彩の洪水へと分解され、再編される。風景が強い日差しに満たされている時も、満月に照らされている時も、これらの感覚は私が「アペイロン」と呼ぶ領域の中で生き続ける。
《アペイロニック西区ランドスケープ》では、当初、雲ひとつない青空を油彩で描こうと考えていた。しかしその意図は、アペイロンのスタジオ・プラクシスの最初の筆致の中で生き残らなかった。別のことが起こり始めたのである。絵は、私が想定していたイメージから離れていった。アペイロンは視覚情報を蓄積し、再想像し始め、作品はシンチレーションへ向かって動き、別の方向へと駆動された。夏の雲影が冬の丘に現れた。初期の意図は、別の視覚的条件に取って代わられた。
なぜこの現象が起こるのか、私は断言できない。ただ、これが繰り返し起こることは確かだ。絵を描く行為の中で何かが発生し、視覚との遭遇を通じて進化し、別の結果を要求し始める。絵は、私が始めた時の意図を越えて「考える」ように見えることさえある。意図は単に放棄されるのではなく、知覚、感覚、記憶、物質的行為の蓄積によって変容する。これは孤立した出来事ではない。私がセザンヌに認める知覚的プラクシスに属しつつ、同時に私自身の実践が彼の方法から分岐し始める地点でもある。
私は、絵画がセザンヌから始まったと言いたいのではないし、彼が初めて慣習を問い直した画家だと言いたいわけでもない。絵画には彼以前に膨大な歴史がある。私にとってセザンヌは、特定の言語の始まりを示す存在である。見ること、感覚すること、そして描かれたマークとの関係が不安定で、能動的で、未解決のまま揺れ続けるような言語である。
セザンヌは理論家ではなかった。彼の思考は絵画そのもの、そして制作に付随する書簡や言葉の中で表現された。彼の最も重要な言語は、キャンバス上の絵具の痕跡—色、構造、調子、反復、ためらい、構築、そしてモチーフとの絶え間ない対峙—であった。
しかし、これは起こっていたことの一部にすぎないかもしれない。私は、セザンヌが私の言うアペイロンに近い何かを通じて画家的痕跡を生み出していた可能性があると考えている。それは歴史的確証ではなく、私自身の絵画経験から彼の作品を見たときに立ち上がる可能性である。セザンヌにおいて、モチーフは単なる描写対象ではなく、画家が絶えず向き合う「始源的な存在」である。感覚もまた、その存在と絵画行為に対する生きた視覚的反応の一部である。
私にとって好例は《レ・ローヴの庭》である。 この作品はポスト印象派の文脈で広く論じられてきたが、私の読みでは、単なる観察の転写以上のものとして経験される。観察は出発点であったかもしれないが、紫、青紫、灰青、ヴァイオレット、アンバー、桃色の遠景、深いビリジアンなどの色彩のパッチの規模と性質は、単なる記述を超えているように見える。知覚がより能動的で変容的になっている。私はこれを、アペイロンから立ち上がるシンチレーションとして理解する。
私はこれをセザンヌの方法の歴史的事実として提示するのではない。既存の美術史的解釈を置き換える意図もない。これは、画家としての経験と、彼の絵画の物質的言語への注意から形成された私的な読みである。セザンヌの達成は、モチーフとの遭遇を変容させながら、それを放棄しなかった点にあると私は理解している。モチーフはそこにあり続けた。しかし絵画は、単なる記述ではない別のものへと変化した。色は構造となり、形は絶えず生成し直され、絵画は「到達」ではなく「生成」の過程に留まり続けた。
ここにセザンヌの絵画言語が成立する。しかし、私の絵画はそこで終わらない。
私のスタジオ経験は、モチーフが知覚へ入った「その後」にある別の条件へと私を導いてきた。自分の顔の写真をもとに描くとき、私はそれを単なる再現すべき画像として経験しない。時に、顔は線的なスライスとして知覚に入ってくる。輪郭、トーンの境界、方向性、構造の断片。知覚が遅延しながら画像を追跡しているように感じられる。
別の瞬間には、知覚はまったく異なる振る舞いをする。突然の色の洪水が起こることがある。強い光が皮膚に当たると、網膜に色彩の力が物理的に流れ込むような感覚が生じる。これは個別の色の集合ではなく、波のような飽和である。
私はこれらを Impact と Scintillation として理解する。 Impact は遭遇の力。 Scintillation はその後も作用し続ける感覚の揺らぎである。 これが Delay を生む。
このインターバルの中で、モチーフは変化する。残るのは外部の像ではなく、知覚の活動そのものだ。
このインターバルの中に、私はアペイロンを位置づける。アペイロンとは、知覚の効果が物質的に解決される前に、未定形のまま活動し続ける領域である。記憶の倉庫でも、単なるイメージの蓄積でもない。線的スライス、色彩の洪水、インパクト、シンチレーション、記憶された関係、揺れ動く強度がそこで相互作用する。
次のマークは、この条件から生まれる。
私はアペイロンが何であるかを厳密に知っているわけではない。これは、絵画の必要性とスタジオでの反復経験から生まれた作業概念である。私はその効果を認識するが、機構を完全に説明できるわけではない。科学的主張でも哲学的断言でもない。絵画の中で繰り返し起こる経験を記述するための言葉である。
このことは、モチーフと画面の関係を変える。
セザンヌの遭遇は暫定的にこう理解できるかもしれない: モチーフ → 感覚 → 描かれたマーク
私の経験はこれを拡張する: モチーフ → Impact → Scintillation → Apeiron / Delay → Actus → 描かれたマーク
違いは視覚的であると同時に時間的でもある。絵画は初期の遭遇を記録するだけではない。知覚がモチーフを吸収し、視覚的出来事が作用し続けるその「変化した状態」を物質化する。
西区の風景はその記録の一つである。 青空は予定されていた。 しかし、そうはならなかった。 アペイロンの内部動態が意図を追い越し、シンチレーションへ向かい、最終的に Actus へ至った。作品は、見たものではなく、「見ることに起こったこと」を記録している。
ここで私の実践は、私が読むセザンヌから分岐する。彼の達成はモチーフとの持続的な対峙に結びついている。私の実践は、その後のインターバルへとさらに踏み込む。外部のモチーフは、錨ではなく「始まりの出来事」となる。興味の中心は、遭遇が知覚へ入った後に起こること—感覚が持続し、断片化し、変容し、蓄積し、絵画行為へと変わる過程である。
私はセザンヌを否定しているのではない。彼の作品に認める問題を、さらに拡張しているのだ。絵画は知覚の不安定性から切り離せない。私の関心は、その不安定性の中で、次のマークが生まれる前に何が起こっているのかである。
それがインターバルである。
美術史はセザンヌを印象派、ポスト印象派、キュビスム、モダニズム、形式主義、現象学などの文脈で論じてきた。これらは重要な視点である。しかし、制作する画家の立場からは、別の次元が現れる。制作の時間経験である。
セザンヌのためらい、反復、修正、複数の視点は様々に解釈できるが、私の読みでは、感覚が決定的なマークになる前に「処理されている痕跡」としても理解できる。表面は、知覚と物質的行為の交渉の記録である。私が興味を持つのは、その交渉の時間的側面である。
アペイロン、ディレイ、シンチレーション、インパクト、アクタスは、私の実践の内部からその条件を記述するための作業概念である。セザンヌの歴史的説明として提示するものではない。初期の意図が別の知覚的出来事に追い越される時、スタジオで何が起こるのかを言語化するために生まれた言葉である。
セザンヌは、感覚がモチーフとマークの関係を不安定化させる「始まり」を示してくれる。 私の実践は、そのさらに内部—知覚の後、マークが到達する前の状態—から始まる。
絵画は、その未解決の活動が最終的に物質化される場所である。 理論の埃を払う必要はない。 すでに絵具の中で働いているのだから。
Apeiron, Drawing & Painting Theory, Essay, Micro-Phenomenology, Observational Practice, Perception, Praxis, Studio Notes