Wednesday Viewing of Awaji Island from Akashi emerged from a perceptual process in which the Residue of Apeiron gradually overtook the initial act of observation. The painting began with direct viewing from Akashi Harbour, accompanied by a small number of digital iPhone images used as provisional visual guides. As the work developed, however, delay — and, more importantly, the residues circulating within Apeiron — increasingly shaped the formation of the oil traces.
I cannot explain precisely how these residues reorganise themselves, nor do I claim to understand their movement in scientific terms. I can only describe how they become perceptible within the praxis of painting. There is no fixed method or predetermined system. Instead, I respond intuitively to the ways in which these residues seem to influence the palette, the medium, the pressure of the knife, and the movement of the brush. These influences are experienced as remembrances rather than as a sequence of conscious decisions.
The process is driven by scintillation: the moment when residues interacting with the motif move through Apeiron and bring the image toward a heightened state of perceptual intensity. Colour is not applied according to a predetermined technique; its emergence is shaped by this internal movement. Technique remains present in the handling of materials, but it does not determine the image in advance. The painting develops through a perceptual pressure that I can feel more readily than I can explain.
The difficulty lies in knowing when to stop. I understand the moment of cessation as the point at which the rush of Apeiron significantly recedes. This is not a decision reached through a fixed rule or external measurement. Rather, it is an experiential judgement: the point at which the work no longer demands further intensification and the perceptual process begins to settle.
Although the painting is small, it took as long to complete as some larger works. This duration reveals something essential about the process. The journey of Apeiron, with its persistent delay, does not correspond to the physical scale of the image. It concludes only when I sense that nothing further can be added without disturbing what has already emerged.
Note
In painting, I sense that whenever a motif is chosen — whether a nude, a portrait, a landscape, or a still life — perception eventually enters a state of delay. Once perception moves into delay, it begins to manifest within praxis as something reorganised. At that point, the lifelong residue of reimagined perception begins to integrate with the traces of paint or drawing on paper or canvas. What emerges is another re-imagination, one that feels factual in its force yet remains extremely difficult to prove or analyse.
This integration of residue with the act of painting is not something I understand conceptually; it is something I feel. The residues of past perception seem to enter the work, shaping colour, pressure, movement, and decision. They do not behave like a method or a system. Rather, they behave like a long-duration memory field that reorganises itself in the moment of painting, producing an image that is both new and deeply familiar.
見ることの残滓──アペイロン、遅延、そしてイメージの生成 《明石から望む水曜日の淡路島》 木製パネルに油彩、18 × 18 cm
《明石から望む水曜日の淡路島》は、観察の初期段階を次第に覆いながら、アペイロンの残滓が知覚過程を主導していく中で生まれた作品です。制作は明石港での直接的な観察から始まり、補助的な視覚資料として数枚の iPhone 写真を参照しました。しかし描き進めるうちに、遅延──そしてより重要な、アペイロン内部を循環する残滓──が油彩の痕跡形成に強く影響を及ぼすようになりました。
これらの残滓がどのように再編成されるのかを厳密に説明することはできませんし、その動きを科学的に理解しているわけでもありません。私にできるのは、制作の中でそれらがどのように知覚されるかを述べることだけです。固定された方法や体系は存在せず、パレットの選択、メディウムの量、ナイフの圧、筆の動きに対して、アペイロンの残滓がどのように作用しているかを直観的に受け取っています。これらの影響は、意識的な判断の連続というよりも、記憶の残響として経験されます。
制作を駆動するのは「閃光(scintillation)」です。モチーフと残滓がアペイロンを通過し、イメージをより高い知覚的強度へと押し上げる瞬間です。色彩はあらかじめ決められた技法によって適用されるのではなく、この内部的な動きによって形づくられます。技法は素材の扱いの中に確かに存在しますが、イメージを事前に規定するものではありません。絵画の運動は、説明するよりも感受することの方が容易な、知覚的な圧力によって生じます。
最も難しいのは「どこで止めるか」です。私は、アペイロンの奔流が明確に弱まる瞬間を終点として理解しています。それは外的な基準や規則によって判断されるものではなく、経験的な感覚によるものです。作品がこれ以上の強度を求めなくなり、知覚過程が静まり始める、その移行点を画家として感じ取るのです。
この作品は小品ですが、より大きな作品と同じだけの時間を要しました。その制作時間は重要なことを示しています。アペイロンの旅路──その持続する遅延──は作品の物理的なサイズとは対応しません。すでに立ち上がったイメージを損なうことなく、これ以上加えるべきものがないと感じられたときにのみ、アペイロンは終息します。
アペイロンと残滓についての覚書
絵画において、ヌード、肖像、風景、静物など、いかなるモチーフを選んだとしても、知覚はやがて遅延の状態へと入っていくと私は感じています。知覚が遅延へと移行すると、それは制作の中で再編成されたかたちで現れ始めます。その段階で、生涯にわたり再想像され続けてきた知覚の残滓が、紙やキャンバス上の絵具や線の痕跡と統合されていきます。そこに現れるのは、事実のような力を帯びながらも、証明や分析が極めて難しい、もう一つの再想像です。
この残滓が制作行為と統合される過程は、概念的に理解しているわけではなく、むしろ「感じ取る」ものです。過去の知覚の残滓が作品に入り込み、色彩、圧、動き、判断を形づくっていくように思われます。それらは方法や体系として振る舞うのではなく、長い時間をかけて形成された記憶の場として、制作の瞬間に再編成され、新しくもどこか懐かしいイメージを生み出します。
