Sunday, 13 September 2026

Apeiron and the Old Sea Dog’s Fishing Boat: Painting as an Active Field of Experience




Peter Davidson The Old Sea Dog’s Fishing Boat, Akashi 2026 oil, wax, acrylic on wooden panel 22 × 22 cm

Note: In English, “sea dog” refers to an old, experienced, weathered fisherman or sailor. 「老練な海の男の漁船 明石 2026」 「sea dog(シー・ドッグ)」は、長年の経験を積み、海に鍛えられた漁師・船乗りを指す表現です。


Apeiron has gradually become part of the language through which I understand my painting practice. I do not use it as a fixed theory or as a term that provides a final explanation of the work. Its meaning has developed through painting itself—through repeated encounters with perception, material, memory, space, and the unexpected ways in which something can emerge. My understanding began with a simple feeling: painting does not begin from nothing.

The surface is not empty before the first mark. The studio is not empty when I enter it. Most importantly, I am not an empty observer standing before an empty panel. I arrive carrying accumulated experience: images, colours, textures, movements, places, sensations, and encounters that have gathered throughout my life. Some of these experiences remain conscious; others do not. Yet they can return, often without warning, and often without presenting themselves as identifiable memories.

This sense of return became particularly vivid while walking along the fishing wharves of Akashi. The Old Sea Dog’s Fishing Boat, Akashi 2026 began with observation. Among the working boats, I encountered older vessels—weathered, repaired, abandoned, or simply waiting. Some appeared to belong to fishermen who were no longer there, men whose lives had been spent in relation to the sea and who had, in many cases, passed away. The boats remained. They stood as remnants, as witnesses, as objects shaped by years of exposure to tide, storm, sunlight, and salt.

I became interested in the relationship between the absence of the fisherman and the continued presence of his boat. The boat seemed to hold something of the person who had used it—not literally, and not as a portrait, but through its wear, colour, repairs, stains, and weathering. The sea had acted upon it season after season. In this way, the boat became a counterpart to the fisherman himself. The fisherman is weathered by the sea; the boat is weathered alongside him. Both carry the evidence of duration. Both accumulate traces of what has happened. The boat therefore became more than an object I was observing; it became a metaphor for the fisherman, and for the life lived in relation to the ocean.

This movement from observation to metaphor connects directly to my understanding of memory. I do not think of memory as a collection of complete images stored somewhere within us. What interests me more is what remains after an experience has passed: a colour, a smell, a texture, a quality of light, the movement of water against a hull, the sound of a harbour, the surface of an old boat. These things can remain without necessarily remaining as conscious memories. They become something less definite—sensory residue. An experience that has passed can remain capable of becoming active again.

When I walk along the Akashi wharves, I am not simply looking at boats. I am encountering the accumulated presence of a place: the boats, the fishermen who used them, the sea, the harbour, the weather, the history of fishing, and the traces of lives that are no longer physically present. Once encountered, these things enter experience. And once they enter experience, they do not necessarily disappear. They become available to return in another form. A colour may return through another colour. A texture may return through paint. A movement observed in water may return through the movement of the hand. A weathered surface may return through the physical accumulation of paint and wax.

This is where Apeiron becomes useful to me. I understand it not simply as infinity or boundlessness, but as a condition of continuing possibility. Experience does not necessarily end when the immediate event ends. Something remains capable of becoming active. The old fishing boats of Akashi therefore become part of a much larger field of memory. The boats carry the residue of the fishermen. The harbour carries the residue of the boats. The sea carries the residue of generations of living beside it. And my own experience of encountering these things becomes another layer within that accumulation. Apeiron becomes the space in which these residues remain capable of entering new relationships.

This understanding of openness has changed how I think about space. I have become uncomfortable with the phrase “empty space.” The more I paint, the less convincing the word “empty” becomes. There is no empty space in the painting. There is space. The wooden panel is not a passive background waiting for an image. It has its own physical presence and resistance. It receives paint, holds layers, absorbs some marks and rejects others. Scraping can expose an earlier surface. Wax can alter the relationship between layers. Colour can become buried and then reappear. When a mark is made, something has not simply been added to an empty field; a relationship has changed within a field that was already present.

This becomes particularly evident in the physical behaviour of paint. When I place oil, wax, or acrylic onto the panel, I initiate an action but do not completely determine its outcome. Paint spreads. Wax changes the surface. One layer partially obscures another. Scraping reveals something previously hidden. Colours alter one another through proximity. The material continues the event. The painter begins something, but the painting does not necessarily end where intention ends. I act upon the material, but the material changes what I subsequently see. What I see changes what I do next. Painting becomes a continual movement between perception → action → material change → new perception → new action.

This is where the Davidson Hypothesis entered my thinking. I developed it as a practice-led conceptual model to describe the non-coincidence between perception and action: t₀ → t₀ + Δ. Perception is registered at t₀, while action occurs at t₀ + Δ. The interval is not an error; it is a space of possibility. Within that interval, what has been perceived can be processed, altered, associated with previous experience, and transformed into action. The perception already carries experience. The action transforms it. The resulting material event becomes another perception, which carries forward into another action. The process continually changes itself.

In The Old Sea Dog’s Fishing Boat, Akashi 2026, the boat is therefore both observed object and accumulated metaphor. It begins with something seen during a walk along the wharves, but it does not remain there. The observed boat becomes connected to the absent fisherman. The fisherman becomes connected to a life lived through the seasons and moods of the ocean. The weathered boat becomes an image of that life. The image then becomes material. Paint, wax, and acrylic begin to carry what observation alone cannot contain. The turquoise of the boat, the darker water, the white surfaces, and the rust-coloured marks are not simply descriptive decisions; they become part of the accumulated sensation of the place.

At certain moments the boat is clearly a fishing vessel. At others, it begins to dissolve into paint. The object becomes surface. The surface becomes colour. The colour becomes gesture. The gesture becomes material. The painting moves between recognition and uncertainty. I am not attempting to reconstruct the original boat exactly. I am allowing the boat to become a site where observation, memory, imagination, and material action meet. The boat is not only something represented. It is something that continues to emerge.

The longer I work with this idea, the more I see that my paintings are not simply images that I make. They are records of encounters between accumulated experience, present perception, bodily action, and material behaviour. The painting carries something of what has happened before, something of what is happening now, and something that could not have been completely known beforehand. A lifetime of looking does not disappear simply because the original moment has passed. A lifetime of living near or beside particular landscapes can continue to inform the way the world is encountered.

The Akashi wharves are therefore not simply the location of the painting; they are part of its accumulated memory. The old boats, the absent fishermen, the water, the weather, the harbour, and the traces of lives lived beside the sea all become part of the field from which the painting emerges. The sea boat becomes a vessel not only for the fisherman, but for memory itself. The sea has weathered the boat. The fisherman has been weathered by the sea. And the experience of encountering the boat becomes weathered again through perception and paint.

Perhaps this is what Apeiron has gradually come to mean for me: not infinity as an abstract quantity, but an openness in which experience continues to have the possibility of becoming something else. I do not begin with nothing. I begin with a field already carrying experience. I make a mark, and the field changes. I respond to that change, and it changes again. Something remembered may enter. Something unexpected may appear. Something material may resist. Something previously unnoticed may become visible. The painting continues. My understanding of Apeiron has not arrived as a finished conclusion; it has developed through the act of painting itself. It remains a journey. And perhaps that is the most important part of the concept: the work does not have to be completely determined in order to be real.

There is no empty surface waiting for the painting to begin.
There is only an already active field of experience, perception, memory, and material possibility.
The old boat is there.
The fisherman is no longer there.
The sea remains.
The memory remains.
And within that field, something emerges that was not completely known before it appeared.

The painting continues.


日本語訳(全文)

ピーター・デイヴィッドソン 老練な海の男の漁船 明石 2026 油彩・ワックス・アクリル/木製パネル 22 × 22 cm

注:「sea dog(シー・ドッグ)」は、長年の経験を積み、海に鍛えられた漁師・船乗りを指す英語表現です。 「老練な海の男の漁船 明石 2026」 「sea dog(シー・ドッグ)」は、長年の経験を積み、海に鍛えられた漁師・船乗りを指す表現です。

Apeiron(アペイロン)は、私が絵画制作を理解するための言語の一部となってきた。

私はそれを固定化された理論として用いるわけではなく、作品に最終的な説明を与えるための概念としても扱っていない。その意味は、知覚、素材、記憶、空間、そして予期せぬ出現のあり方との繰り返しの遭遇を通して、絵画そのものの中で徐々に形成されてきた。 私の理解は、ひとつの単純な感覚から始まった。 絵画は「無」から始まるのではない。

最初の筆致の前に、支持体は空ではない。 私がアトリエに入るとき、そこは空ではない。 そして何よりも、私は空の観察者として空の面の前に立っているわけではない。

私は、これまでの人生で蓄積されてきたイメージ、色、質感、動き、場所、感覚、そして遭遇の経験を抱えてそこに立っている。 その一部は意識に残り、別のものは意識から離れている。 しかし、それらは再び立ち上がることがある。

明石の漁港での経験

『老練な海の男の漁船 明石 2026』は、観察から始まった。

明石の漁港を歩いていると、働く船の間や港の縁に、古い漁船が点在しているのを見つけた。中には、すでに漁師がいないと思われる船もあった。海と共に生きてきた人々、そして多くの場合すでに亡くなった人々の船であるように見えた。

船は残っていた。

それらは、痕跡として、証人として、潮、嵐、陽光、雨、そして塩によって長年にわたり形づくられた物体として、そこに存在していた。

私は、漁師が不在であるにもかかわらず、船がなお存在し続けているという関係に興味を抱いた。 その船は、使っていた人物の何かを宿しているように思えた。 文字通りではなく、肖像としてでもない。 しかし、摩耗、色、修理跡、染み、風化によって、その人生の痕跡が刻まれているように見えた。

海は、季節ごとにその船に作用してきた。 その意味で、船は漁師自身の対となる存在になった。

漁師は海によって風化し、船もまた海によって風化する。 両者は時間の証拠を帯びている。 両者は制御しきれない力にさらされてきた。 両者は、起こった出来事の痕跡を蓄積している。

船は単なる観察対象ではなくなり、漁師の比喩となった。

観察から記憶へ

この観察から比喩への移行は、私の記憶理解と直接結びついている。

私は記憶を、完全なイメージがどこかに保存されているものとして捉えていない。 私が興味を持つのは、経験が過ぎ去ったあとに「何が残るのか」である。

色 匂い 質感 光の質 船体に触れる水の動き 港の音 古い船の表面 海辺を歩く感覚

これらは、必ずしも意識的な記憶として残るわけではない。 もっと曖昧なものになる。 感覚的残滓(sensory residue)である。

過ぎ去った経験が、再び活動を開始する可能性を持ち続ける。

明石の漁港を歩くとき、私は単に船を見ているのではない。 そこに蓄積された場所の存在と出会っている。 船、漁師、海、港、天候、漁の歴史、そしてすでに物理的には存在しない人生の痕跡。 それらは経験に入り込み、そして完全に消えるわけではない。 別の形で戻る可能性を持ち続ける。

アペイロン:継続する可能性の場

ここで、アペイロンが有効になる。 私はアペイロンを、単なる無限や無境界としてではなく、継続する可能性の条件として理解している。

経験は、出来事が終わった瞬間に終わるわけではない。 何かが、再び活動を開始する可能性を持ち続ける。

古い漁船は、漁師の残滓を帯びている。 港は、船の残滓を帯びている。 海は、世代を超えて生きられてきた痕跡を帯びている。 そして私自身の経験も、その蓄積の一層となる。

アペイロンは、これらの残滓が新たな関係に入ることを可能にする場となる。

空間は「空」ではない

この理解は、空間の捉え方を変えた。 私は「空の空間」という言葉に違和感を覚えるようになった。 絵画において、空の空間は存在しない。 そこには空間がある。

木製パネルは、イメージが置かれるのを待つ受動的な背景ではない。 それ自体が物理的な存在と抵抗を持つ。 絵具を受け取り、層を保持し、ある筆致を吸収し、別の筆致を拒む。 削ることで以前の層が露出する。 ワックスは層の関係を変える。 色は埋もれ、再び現れる。

筆致が現れるとき、空の場に何かが加わるのではない。 すでに存在していた場の関係が変化するのである。

素材は出来事を継続させる

油、ワックス、アクリルをパネルに置くとき、私は行為を開始するが、その結果を完全には決定しない。

絵具は広がる。 ワックスは表面を変える。 層は互いを覆い隠す。 削ると隠れていたものが現れる。 色は近接によって変化する。

素材は出来事を継続させる。

私は素材に働きかけるが、素材は私が次に見るものを変える。 見るものが変わると、次の行為が変わる。 絵画は、 知覚 → 行為 → 素材の変化 → 新たな知覚 → 新たな行為 という連続的な運動になる。

デイヴィッドソン仮説

ここで、デイヴィッドソン仮説が生まれた。 私は、知覚と行為の非同時性を記述するために、この実践主導の概念モデルを考案した。

t₀ → t₀ + Δ

知覚は t₀ に登録され、行為は t₀ + Δ に生じる。 この間隔は誤差ではなく、可能性の空間である。

知覚は経験を帯びて現れ、行為はその知覚を変形する。 素材的出来事は新たな知覚となり、それが次の行為へと進む。 プロセスは自己変化を続ける。

老練な海の男の漁船

『老練な海の男の漁船 明石 2026』において、船は観察された対象であると同時に、蓄積された比喩でもある。

観察された船は、やがて不在の漁師と結びつく。 漁師は、海の季節と気分の中で生きた人生と結びつく。 風化した船は、その人生のイメージとなる。 そのイメージは素材へと変わる。

ターコイズの船体、濃い水面、白い面、錆色の痕跡は、単なる記述ではなく、場所の感覚の蓄積となる。

船は認識可能でありながら、絵具へと溶け始める。 対象は表面となり、表面は色となり、色はジェスチャーとなり、ジェスチャーは素材となる。 絵画は、認識と不確かさの間を揺れ動く。

私は船を正確に再現しようとしているのではない。 観察、記憶、想像、素材的行為が出会う場として、船を開いているのである。

絵画は続いていく

私の絵画は単なるイメージではない。 それは、蓄積された経験、現在の知覚、身体的行為、素材の振る舞いとの遭遇の記録である。

明石の漁港は、単なる場所ではなく、絵画の記憶の一部である。 古い船、漁師の不在、水、天候、港、そして海辺で生きられた人生の痕跡は、絵画が立ち上がる場の一部となる。

海は船を風化させ、漁師は海によって風化し、そして私が船と出会った経験は、知覚と絵具によって再び風化される。

おそらく、これがアペイロンの意味として徐々に形成されてきたものなのだろう。 抽象的な量としての無限ではなく、経験が別のものへと変わり続ける可能性の開かれた場である。

私は「無」から始めるのではない。 すでに経験を帯びた場から始める。 筆致を置くと場が変わり、私はその変化に応答し、場は再び変わる。

絵画は続いていく。