After the Reference: Toward a Post‑Referential Epistemology of Drawing
This essay considers what happens to an image between seeing it and drawing it. Over recent months, I have been working with digital self‑portraits and examining how the interval between looking and mark‑making affects what eventually appears on the page. I am provisionally using the term post‑referential to describe an approach in which a drawing is not understood simply as a transcript or copy of a preceding photograph, but as an image emerging through perception, spatial delay, memory, residue, and material response.
I use the term reference here to discuss the shifting relationship between a source image and a subsequent mark, focusing entirely on cognitive and studio processes rather than fixed models of visual translation.
After the Reference
A digital photograph can initially appear to provide a stable point of reference. It can be looked at, remembered, translated, copied, or transformed. Yet when I begin to draw from it, the photograph is no longer simply present. It becomes mediated by looking, attention, memory, interruption, and the inevitable spatial delay between perception and mark‑making.
What enters the drawing is therefore not necessarily the photograph itself, but an image that has already passed through perception.
This delay interests me. I am exploring whether this interval might complicate conventional understandings of the relationship between an original image and a subsequent one. Rather than assuming that drawing necessarily constitutes the production of a secondary image generated from a primary source, I am asking whether the perceptual process between source and mark can alter that relationship.
If the image is continually being reconstituted between looking and marking, perhaps the resulting drawing cannot be adequately understood through a linear model of source and transcript. I have begun provisionally calling this possibility post‑referential.
The term does not suggest that sources or precedents disappear. Rather, it describes what happens when the relationship between them becomes less linear: photograph → drawing, source → copy, original → reproduction. In its place, I am exploring a more recursive process in which perception, delay, residue, and material response continually affect one another.
Self‑Portraits as Tests
I have been developing this thinking through a series of small self‑portraits. In one recent experiment, a digital photograph became the point of departure for a drypoint. The photograph was not reproduced directly. It was encountered through looking and therefore through a perceptual interval. What I eventually inscribed into the plate had already been re‑imagined through that process.
This morning I began another self‑portrait, this time through observational drawing in the historical tradition of attention to perspective, form, contrast, and tonal modelling. The digital image remained intermittently present on my laptop while I was also looking directly at the subject. I moved between the digital image and observation, returning repeatedly to each. Gradually, the two forms of looking ceased to feel entirely separate.
The digital image became part of the wider perceptual field.
I noticed that I was not simply looking at an image and transferring what I saw. I was moving between glimpses: a glance at the laptop, a return to the face, a remembered fragment, a line, a hesitation, a white interruption. The image seemed to emerge through these intervals rather than exist as something completely determined beforehand.
Apeiron and Perceptual Openness
This is where my concept of Apeiron becomes relevant. I borrow the term from early Greek philosophy, where it is associated with the boundless or indefinite, but I use it here in a specific studio context to describe a condition of perceptual openness.
Apeiron describes a state in which the image is not yet completely determined. It is not a fixed destination that the drawing must reach. Instead, it is an indeterminate field in which perception, memory, attention, and material response can interact.
Within this process, the digital photograph becomes less a fixed reference and more one element within a changing perceptual field. It enters the process, but it does not completely determine its outcome. I am therefore not suggesting that the photograph ceases to function as a point of engagement. Rather, I am interested in whether the meaning and function of reference can change through the act of drawing.
The photograph can be retained, interrupted, partially forgotten, reconstructed, and materially reconfigured. The drawing therefore does not simply follow the photograph.
It follows what happens between the photograph and looking.
New‑Opportunity White
This became particularly apparent through the use of correction fluid. Conventionally, correction fluid suggests the removal of an error or the restoration of a surface. During this drawing, however, I became aware that I was not using it primarily in that way.
The white marks were responding to the developing image. They interrupted existing lines and created spaces from which other possibilities could emerge. I began to think of correction fluid differently. Within this praxis, it might more usefully be described as new‑opportunity white.
The distinction is modest but significant. The white is no longer understood simply as the restoration of an earlier surface. It becomes an active intervention in the emergence of the image. What appears to be correction can instead become another perceptual event. The material introduces an interruption, and that interruption creates another opportunity for looking.
In this sense, the material itself participates in the development of the drawing. The drawing becomes a site of inquiry in which materials, perception, and delay can produce knowledge that was not completely available beforehand.
The image is therefore not simply something I know and then represent.
It is also something through which I come to know.
Residue, Scintillation, and Delay
This brings me back to the question of visual lineage. A conventional understanding of transcriptive image‑making implies a fixed sequence between a preceding image and a subsequent one. The subsequent image may then be considered according to its similarity to, distance from, fidelity to, transformation of, or resistance to the earlier image.
I am interested in what happens if the interval between those images becomes the primary site of investigation. What happens when drawing is understood not simply as the endpoint of a chain, but as an event within a continually changing perceptual process?
Here, residue becomes important. What remains from the photograph is not necessarily a recognizable fragment. It may be a spatial relationship, a remembered contour, an uncertainty, a colour, an impression of light, the sense of where an eye should be, or simply the bodily memory of having looked. Residue is not necessarily what survives intact. It can also be what survives through transformation.
This complicates the distinction between observation and mediation. I had initially considered observational drawing and drawing from a digital photograph as potentially different procedures. Yet during this experiment they began to overlap. The digital image was intermittently consulted while the subject was observed directly. Both forms of looking entered the same perceptual process.
What emerged was not simply a choice between photograph and observation, but an oscillation between them. This oscillation is where I locate scintillation: moments in which the image becomes perceptually active through interruption rather than completion. A mark becomes convincing. A white passage opens another possibility. A contour is disrupted and, through that disruption, something else becomes visible.
The image does not necessarily become more compelling by accumulating information.
Sometimes it becomes more active through interruption.
This is why I am increasingly interested in delay not as an obstacle to image‑making, but as a productive condition of it. Delay prevents an immediate conversion of source into result. It creates an interval in which perception can alter what is received. Residue accumulates within that interval, while material decisions feed back into subsequent perception.
The process becomes recursive:
perception → delay → residue → mark → interruption → renewed perception
Toward a Post‑Referential Epistemology
Within this recursive movement, I am beginning to question whether linear models of source and transcript adequately describe what is happening. I am therefore exploring whether drawing might become post‑referential: not because it has escaped sources, influences, or precedents, but because its relationship to them is no longer adequately described as simple transcription.
This remains a proposition rather than a conclusion. It must remain open to further testing through different drawings, materials, sources, and perceptual conditions.
The self‑portrait has become a useful site for this investigation because even the apparent subject is unstable. I am looking at myself through a digital image while also looking directly at myself. Neither view provides a definitive image. Between them, the drawing emerges.
What I encounter is therefore not simply my face. I encounter the spatial delay through which my face becomes an image.
Perhaps this is where the possibility of a post‑referential epistemology begins: not with the rejection of the source, and not with a claim to absolute originality, but with an examination of what happens in the interval between source and image.
And the image emerges — not as a copy of what was there before, but as the temporary scintillation of what happened between looking and making.
参照の後で──ポスト参照的な素描のエピステモロジーに向けて
本稿は、見ることと描くことのあいだで、イメージに何が起きているのかを考察するものである。近月、私はデジタルによる自画像を用いながら、視覚と描線のあいだに生じる「間隔」が、最終的に紙面へ現れるイメージをどのように変化させるのかを探ってきた。私は暫定的に ポスト参照的(post‑referential) という語を用いている。これは、素描を写真の単なる転写や複製として理解するのではなく、知覚、空間的な遅延、記憶、残滓、そして素材への応答を通じて立ち上がるイメージとして捉えるための試みである。
ここでいう「参照」とは、視覚翻訳の固定的なモデルではなく、ソースイメージと後続の描線との関係が、認知的・制作的プロセスの中でどのように変化するかを示すための概念である。
参照の後で
デジタル写真は、当初は安定した参照点を提供しているように見える。見ること、記憶すること、翻訳すること、複製すること、変形することが可能である。しかし、描き始めると、写真はもはや単純に「そこにある」わけではない。見ること、注意、記憶、途切れ、そして知覚と描線のあいだに必ず生じる空間的な遅延によって媒介されてしまう。
したがって、素描に入ってくるのは必ずしも写真そのものではなく、すでに知覚を通過したイメージである。
この遅延こそが、私の関心の中心にある。
私は、この間隔が、原初のイメージと後続のイメージの関係に関する従来的な理解を複雑化し得るのではないかと考えている。素描が必ずしも「一次的なソースから二次的なイメージを生成する行為」であるとは限らないのではないか。むしろ、ソースと描線のあいだにある知覚的プロセスが、その関係を変容させる可能性があるのではないか。
イメージが「見ること」と「描くこと」のあいだで絶えず再構成されるのであれば、結果として生じる素描は、線形的な「ソース → 転写」というモデルでは十分に説明できないかもしれない。私はこの可能性を暫定的に ポスト参照的 と呼んでいる。
この語は、ソースや先行例が消失することを意味しない。むしろ、写真 → 素描、原像 → 複製といった線形的な関係が弱まり、知覚、遅延、残滓、素材への応答が互いに影響し合う再帰的なプロセスが生じることを示している。
自画像によるテスト
私はこの思考を、小さな自画像の連作を通じて展開してきた。ある実験では、デジタル写真がドライポイントの出発点となった。写真は直接的に再現されたわけではない。見ることを通じて、すでに知覚的な間隔を経ていたのである。最終的にプレートへ刻まれたものは、そのプロセスを通じて再想像されたイメージだった。
今朝は、観察に基づく素描という歴史的伝統──遠近、形態、対比、調子のモデル化──に立ち返りながら、別の自画像を描き始めた。デジタル画像はノートパソコン上に断続的に存在しつつ、私は同時に直接自分の顔を観察していた。デジタル画像と観察のあいだを往復するうちに、両者は次第に完全には分離されなくなった。
デジタル画像は、より広い知覚的フィールドの一部となった。
私は、単にイメージを見てそれを転写しているのではないことに気づいた。私は断片的な視線のあいだを移動していたのである──ノートパソコンへの一瞥、顔への回帰、記憶された断片、線、ためらい、白い中断、不確かな線。イメージは、あらかじめ決定されたものとしてではなく、これらの間隔を通じて立ち上がっているように思われた。
アペイロンと知覚的開放性
ここで、私の概念である アペイロン(Apeiron) が重要になる。私はこの語を古代ギリシア哲学から借用しているが、制作の文脈では「知覚がまだ確定していない状態」を指すために用いている。
アペイロンとは、イメージがまだ決定されていない状態である。素描が到達すべき固定的な目的地ではなく、知覚、記憶、注意、素材への応答が相互に作用し得る未定義のフィールドである。
このプロセスの中で、デジタル写真は固定的な参照点ではなく、変化し続ける知覚フィールドの一要素となる。写真はプロセスに入り込むが、その結果を完全には決定しない。私は写真が参照点としての機能を失うと言いたいのではない。むしろ、描く行為を通じて「参照」という概念そのものの意味が変化し得ることに関心がある。
写真は保持され、中断され、部分的に忘却され、再構成され、素材的に再配置される。
素描は写真そのものを追うのではなく、写真と見ることのあいだで起きていること を追うのである。
新たな契機としての白(New‑Opportunity White)
このことは、修正液の使用によって特に明確になった。修正液は通常、誤りの除去や表面の回復を意味する。しかし今回の素描では、私はそれをそのようには使っていなかった。
白いマークは、進行中のイメージに応答していた。既存の線を中断し、別の可能性が立ち上がる空間を作り出していた。私は修正液を別のものとして考え始めた──この制作においては、新たな契機としての白(new‑opportunity white) と呼ぶ方が適切かもしれない。
この区別は控えめだが、思考にとって重要である。白はもはや表面の回復ではなく、イメージの生成に積極的に介入するものとなる。修正に見えるものが、別の知覚的出来事となり得る。素材が中断を導入し、その中断が新たな「見ること」を生む。
この意味で、素材そのものが素描の展開に参与している。
イメージは、私がすでに知っているものを表すだけではない。イメージを通じて、私は知ることへ到達するのである。
残滓・閃光・遅延
ここで、視覚的系譜の問題に戻る。従来的な転写的イメージ生成は、先行するイメージと後続のイメージのあいだに固定的な連鎖を想定する。後続のイメージは、類似性、距離、忠実性、変形、抵抗といった観点から評価される。
私は、この連鎖の「間隔」こそが主要な探究の場となり得るのではないかと考えている。素描が連鎖の終点ではなく、変化し続ける知覚プロセスの中の一つの出来事として理解されるとしたらどうなるだろうか。
ここで 残滓(residue) が重要になる。写真から残るものは、必ずしも認識可能な断片ではない。空間的関係、記憶された輪郭、不確かさ、色、光の印象、眼があるべき場所の感覚、あるいは単に「見た」という身体的記憶かもしれない。残滓は、無傷で残るものではなく、変形を経て残るものでもある。
観察と媒介の区別も複雑化する。私は当初、観察による素描とデジタル写真からの素描を別の手続きとして考えていた。しかし今回の実験では、それらが重なり合い始めた。デジタル画像は断続的に参照され、同時に直接観察も行われた。両方の「見ること」が同じ知覚プロセスに入り込んだのである。
生じたのは、写真か観察かという選択ではなく、両者のあいだの 振動(oscillation) であった。この振動こそが、私が 閃光(scintillation) と呼ぶものの所在である。線が説得力を持つ瞬間、白い領域が新たな可能性を開く瞬間、輪郭が乱れ、その乱れによって別のものが見えてくる瞬間──イメージは情報の蓄積によってではなく、しばしば中断によって活性化する。
遅延は、イメージ生成の障害ではなく、むしろ生産的な条件となる。遅延は、ソースから結果への即時的な変換を妨げる。受け取られたものが知覚によって変容するための間隔を作り出す。残滓はその間隔の中で蓄積し、素材的決定は次の知覚へとフィードバックされる。
プロセスは再帰的になる:
知覚 → 遅延 → 残滓 → 線 → 中断 → 新たな知覚
ポスト参照的なエピステモロジーに向けて
この再帰的運動の中で、私は「ソース → 転写」という線形モデルが、起きていることを十分に説明していないのではないかと考え始めている。素描は ポスト参照的 になり得るのではないか──ソースや影響や先行例から逃れるのではなく、それらとの関係がもはや単純な転写として記述できないからである。
これは結論ではなく、あくまで一つの提案である。異なる素描、素材、ソース、知覚条件を通じて、さらに検証される必要がある。
自画像はこの探究にとって有効な場となっている。なぜなら、表面的な主題でさえ不安定だからである。私はデジタル画像を通して自分を見ながら、同時に直接自分を見ている。どちらの視線も決定的なイメージを提供しない。そのあいだで、素描が立ち上がる。
私が出会っているのは、単なる「顔」ではない。顔がイメージになるまでの空間的遅延 に出会っているのである。
ポスト参照的なエピステモロジーの可能性は、この間隔から始まるのかもしれない。ソースの拒否でも、絶対的なオリジナリティの主張でもなく、ソースとイメージのあいだで何が起きているのかを検討することから始まる。
写真が入り込む。 知覚がそれを中断する。 アペイロンがイメージを開いたままにする。 残滓が残る。 手が応答する。 白が新たな契機を生む。 線が次に見えるものを変える。
そしてイメージは立ち上がる──以前そこにあったものの複製としてではなく、見ることと描くことのあいだで起きた出来事の、一時的な閃光として。
