Thursday, 8 October 2026

What the Drawing and Painting Praxis Has Achieved: From Delay to Apeiron (A schematic Summary of the Blog)


Peter Davidson - Self Portrait Study (residue is the chemical of Apeiron)
Pencil, correction fluid and  coloured pencil on paper 
14 cm  h x 12 cm w 

Note on this post

This essay is a schematic summary of what I take to have been achieved in my drawing and painting research so far. It has been written with the assistance of different AI tools, used to clarify and refine drafts. The research itself is conducted alone, from the studio at Two Dogs Art Space, without institutional affiliation or funding. It remains freely available to anyone who wishes to see how an artist working in closest proximity to the motif understands their own practice.


 

What the Drawing and Painting Praxis Has Achieved: From Delay to Apeiron

Looking back across the development of my painting and drawing practice, I can now see that some of the ideas I am working with today did not begin as ideas at all. They began as problems encountered through making. This distinction is important. The concept of the Apeiron was not devised first and then applied to my paintings, nor did the work begin from a philosophical system, an art-historical argument, or a pre-existing theory of perception. The conceptual language came later. What came first was the sustained experience of looking, painting, drawing, remembering, and encountering something in the work that I could not initially name. I now understand this as a practice generated through delay.

A significant early indication of this came from a review written by the late Australian art critic David Bromfield in 2000, following my exhibition 36 Views of Mandurah at Perth Galleries. At that time I had no developed concept of the Apeiron and did not possess the vocabulary I use today to describe perception, residue or delay. Yet Bromfield identified a significant change occurring within the work. He observed that vision could not be contained within a single moment and described seeing as occurring “with, and through, our memories and associations.” He also recognized a movement away from ready-made formulas and toward sustained perceptual attention. His observations matter to me now because they were made contemporaneously, not retrospectively through the lens of my present theoretical framework. Bromfield did not identify the Apeiron—it would be inaccurate to suggest that he did. What he recognized was something earlier and more fundamental: the practice itself was changing. He saw the direction of that change before I had a conceptual explanation for it.

The significance of that moment has become clearer with space. The paintings of 2000 and the drawings and paintings I am making now are separated by more than two decades, yet when I look across the work retrospectively, I can identify a continuing enquiry into how perception forms, changes and persists through the act of making. This does not mean that I was consciously working with the Apeiron in 2000; I was not. Rather, I now understand the earlier work as part of the history from which the concept eventually emerged. This is where I use the word delay. Delay is not simply the short interval between seeing something and representing it. It can also describe the much longer interval between an operation occurring within practice and the artist becoming capable of recognizing, articulating and naming that operation. The practice can therefore contain knowledge before that knowledge becomes conceptual knowledge. In this sense, the work can know something before I know that I know it.

I now use Apeiron to name an open, indeterminate perceptual field in which experience does not immediately resolve into a fixed image or concept. The term is not intended to claim a scientific mechanism, nor to suggest that I have discovered a neurological process. It is a practice-derived concept: a way of naming something repeatedly encountered through painting and drawing. My present understanding is that perception does not simply move directly from the world into an image. A more useful description is: encounter → perception → delay → residue → Apeiron → praxis → image → renewed perception. The motif may initiate the process, but it does not determine the final image. What is perceived enters a field of accumulated experience. Previous perceptions, memories, sensations and associations remain operative. Through delay, they can become available again in altered forms. Painting and drawing then become ways of allowing these residues to enter material form. The image is therefore not simply a representation of something that was already known; it is one of the places where knowledge is produced.

This understanding has also changed how I think about the body of work itself. I increasingly see the practice as developing an archive of perceptual knowledge. This is not an archive in the conventional sense. It does not consist primarily of facts, references or information gathered from books. It is an accumulation of lived encounters with colour, light, objects, bodies, landscapes, spaces, memories and sensations as they have been experienced through the practice. Because no other person has lived precisely the same sequence of perceptual encounters, this archive is necessarily particular. This may offer another way of thinking about artistic individuality. Rather than defining originality primarily through a distinctive style, originality may emerge from the singular history of perception from which the work develops. The work is particular because its perceptual archive is particular.

This does not mean that art history, philosophy or other forms of knowledge are irrelevant to the practice. Quite the opposite. Artists such as Cézanne, Giacometti, Klee and others provide important historical points of comparison. Phenomenology, theories of perception and writing on artistic practice also provide ways of testing and locating what I have encountered. But they are not the origin of the work. The distinction I want to maintain is between source and interlocutor. The primary source of this research has been the practice itself: looking, making, returning to the work and recognizing recurring phenomena. Books and theories subsequently allow me to ask whether what I have encountered has precedents, parallels or differences elsewhere. In this respect, I see an important affinity with Cézanne. His significance for me is not simply that he painted perception; it is that sustained painting became a means through which knowledge about perception could be generated.

What, then, has actually been achieved? I would not claim to have discovered a completely new account of perception, nor that no previous artist has investigated similar territory. There is a long history of artists attempting to understand the relationship between perception, memory, sensation and making. The stronger claim is more specific. Through sustained painting and drawing practice, I have developed a practice-derived conceptual framework for describing a particular relationship between perception, delay, perceptual residue and the emergence of the image. Apeiron is the name I have given to the open field within that process. Delay describes the condition through which perceptual material remains active beyond the moment of conscious recognition. Residue describes what persists from previous encounters and can re-enter subsequent acts of making. And what I have called scintillation describes the moment in which these accumulated conditions become perceptually active again in the encounter with the image. These terms are not intended as a closed philosophical system. They remain accountable to the paintings and drawings from which they emerged.

Perhaps the most important achievement of the research is therefore methodological. The work has attempted to proceed from the inside of practice outward. The sequence has not been theory → concept → artwork. It has been closer to perception → making → accumulation → recognition → language → reflection → further making. That distinction matters. It means that the conceptual framework is not simply an explanation placed on top of the artwork. It is an attempt to make explicit knowledge that was already operating implicitly within the practice. Bromfield’s 2000 review now appears to me as an important early document within this history. He saw a change taking place in the paintings before I could name it. Twenty-six years later, I can begin to describe that change as a movement toward a perceptual praxis structured by delay.

I therefore do not see the history of the work as a progression from ignorance to theory. I see it as a long process of delayed recognition. The practice generated experiences. The experiences accumulated. The paintings preserved traces of them. Critical attention occasionally recognized aspects of what was happening. And only later did a conceptual vocabulary emerge that could begin to describe the process. That, ultimately, is what I understand the Apeiron to be: not an idea imposed upon the work, but a name that emerged from a body of work that had already been thinking through perception for many years.

The achievement is therefore not that I have solved perception. It is that sustained praxis has allowed me to identify, articulate and continue investigating a form of perceptual knowledge that was already present within the making. The concept came late. The practice came first.

Note: This is a personal research statement, not an academic paper. It describes a practice-led understanding of perception, delay, and image-making as they have emerged in my own work.


投稿に関する注記

このエッセイは、これまで私の描画および絵画研究によって何が達成されてきたのかを、概略的にまとめたものです。草稿の明確化と推敲のために、いくつかのAIツールの助けを借りて執筆されています。研究そのものは、Two Dogs Art Space のスタジオで、所属機関や資金援助のない状態で単独で行われています。モチーフに最も近い場所で制作を続ける一人の画家が、自らの実践をどのように理解しているかを知りたい人には、自由に読んでいただけます。

描画と絵画のプラクシスが達成してきたこと:遅延からアペイロンへ

私の絵画と描画の実践の展開を振り返ると、現在取り組んでいるいくつかの概念は、そもそも「概念」として始まったものではなかったことが分かります。それらは、制作の過程で遭遇した「問題」として始まったのです。この区別は重要です。アペイロンという概念は、最初に考案されて作品に適用されたものではありませんし、哲学体系、美術史的議論、既存の知覚理論から出発したわけでもありません。概念的な言語は後から生まれました。最初にあったのは、見ること、描くこと、塗ること、記憶すること、そして作品の中で当初は名づけられなかった何かに出会い続けるという、持続的な経験でした。私は今、それを「遅延」によって生成された実践として理解しています。

その初期の重要な兆候のひとつは、2000年に故デイヴィッド・ブロムフィールド氏が、私の展覧会《36 Views of Mandurah》(Perth Galleries)について書いたレビューに見られます。当時の私はアペイロンという概念を持っておらず、知覚・残滓・遅延といった語彙もありませんでした。しかしブロムフィールド氏は、作品の中で起こりつつあった重要な変化を見抜いていました。彼は、視覚は単一の瞬間に収まるものではなく、「私たちの記憶や連想とともに、そしてそれらを通して」生じると述べています。また、既成の公式から離れ、持続的な知覚的注意へ向かう動きを認識していました。彼の観察が今の私にとって重要なのは、それが現在の理論的枠組みを通した回顧的解釈ではなく、当時の作品に対して同時代的に行われたものだったからです。ブロムフィールド氏はアペイロンを指摘したわけではありません。それを示唆するのは正確ではありません。彼が認識したのは、もっと早く、もっと根源的なこと――すなわち、実践そのものが変わり始めていたという事実でした。彼は、私自身がその変化を概念的に説明できるようになる前に、その方向性を見ていたのです。

その瞬間の意味は、時間とともにより明確になりました。2000年の絵画と、現在制作している描画・絵画は20年以上隔たっていますが、作品全体を見渡すと、知覚が制作の行為を通してどのように形成され、変化し、持続するのかという問いが一貫して続いていることが分かります。これは、私が2000年にアペイロンを意識していたという意味ではありません。そうではなく、当時の作品が、後に概念として立ち上がることになる歴史の一部だったと理解できるようになったのです。ここで私は「遅延」という言葉を使います。遅延とは、対象を見てからそれを表象するまでの短い間隔だけを指すのではありません。制作の内部で起こっているある操作と、それを認識し、言語化し、名づける能力が芸術家の側に生まれるまでの、もっと長い時間のことでもあります。実践は、概念的知識になる前に、すでに知識を含んでいることがあり得るのです。つまり、作品は、私が「知っている」と自覚する前に、すでに何かを「知っている」場合があるのです。

私は現在、アペイロンを、経験が即座に固定されたイメージや概念へと収束しない、開かれた不定形の知覚領域を指す言葉として使っています。この語は科学的メカニズムを主張するものではなく、神経学的プロセスを発見したと示唆するものでもありません。絵画と描画の実践の中で繰り返し遭遇した何かを名づけるための、実践由来の概念です。私の現在の理解では、知覚は世界からイメージへと直接移行するわけではありません。より有効な記述は次のようなものです。

遭遇 → 知覚 → 遅延 → 残滓 → アペイロン → プラクシス → イメージ → 新たな知覚

モチーフはこのプロセスを開始するかもしれませんが、最終的なイメージを決定するわけではありません。知覚されたものは、蓄積された経験の領域に入ります。以前の知覚、記憶、感覚、連想が作用し続けます。遅延によって、それらは変化した形で再び利用可能になります。絵画や描画は、これらの残滓を物質的な形へと導く方法となるのです。イメージは、すでに知られていたものの単なる表象ではありません。それは、知識が生成される場所のひとつなのです。

この理解は、作品全体をどのように捉えるかにも影響を与えました。私は次第に、実践が「知覚的知識のアーカイブ」を形成していると考えるようになりました。それは一般的な意味でのアーカイブではありません。本や資料から集められた情報の集積ではなく、色、光、物体、身体、風景、空間、記憶、感覚との生きた遭遇が、実践を通して蓄積されたものです。他の誰も同じ知覚経験の連続を生きてはいないため、このアーカイブは必然的に固有のものとなります。これは芸術的個性を考える別の方法を提供するかもしれません。独自のスタイルによってではなく、作品が生まれる知覚の歴史の固有性によって、オリジナリティが現れるという考え方です。作品が固有であるのは、その知覚アーカイブが固有だからです。

これは、芸術史や哲学、その他の知識体系が実践に無関係であるという意味ではありません。むしろその逆です。セザンヌ、ジャコメッティ、クレーなどの画家は重要な歴史的参照点を提供します。現象学、知覚理論、制作論もまた、私が遭遇したものを検証し、位置づけるための手段となります。しかし、それらは作品の「源」ではありません。私が維持したい区別は、「源」と「対話者」の違いです。この研究の主要な源は、実践そのもの――見ること、制作すること、作品に戻ること、そして繰り返し現れる現象を認識することです。本や理論は、その後になって、私が遭遇したものに前例や類似、差異があるかどうかを問うための手段となります。この点で、私はセザンヌに重要な親和性を感じています。彼の重要性は、単に知覚を描いたということではなく、持続的な絵画行為が知覚についての知識を生成する手段となったという点にあります。

では、何が達成されたのでしょうか。私は、まったく新しい知覚理論を発見したとか、誰も踏み入れたことのない領域を開拓したとは主張しません。知覚、記憶、感覚、制作の関係を理解しようとする芸術家の歴史は長いものです。より強い主張は、もっと具体的です。持続的な絵画と描画の実践を通して、私は知覚、遅延、知覚残滓、イメージの生成の関係を記述するための、実践由来の概念的枠組みを形成してきました。アペイロンは、そのプロセスの中にある開かれた領域に与えた名前です。遅延は、知覚的素材が意識的認識の瞬間を越えて作用し続ける条件を指します。残滓は、以前の遭遇から持続し、後の制作行為に再び入り込むものを指します。そして私が「閃光(scintillation)」と呼んできたものは、これらの蓄積された条件が、イメージとの遭遇の中で再び知覚的に活性化する瞬間を指します。これらの語は閉じた哲学体系を構成するものではありません。むしろ、それらが生まれた絵画と描画に対して常に責任を負っています。

おそらく、この研究の最も重要な達成は方法論的なものです。作品は、実践の内部から外側へ向かって進もうとしてきました。順序は、

理論 → 概念 → 作品

ではなく、

知覚 → 制作 → 蓄積 → 認識 → 言語 → 省察 → 再制作

に近いものです。この区別は重要です。概念的枠組みは、作品の上に置かれた説明ではありません。それは、すでに実践の内部で暗黙に働いていた知識を明示化しようとする試みなのです。ブロムフィールド氏の2000年のレビューは、この歴史の中で重要な初期文書として見えてきます。彼は、私がそれを名づけることができるようになる前に、作品の中で起こっていた変化を見ていました。26年後の今、私はその変化を、遅延によって構造化された知覚的プラクシスへの動きとして記述できるようになりました。

したがって、私は作品の歴史を、無知から理論への進歩としては見ていません。それは、長い「遅れた認識」のプロセスです。実践は経験を生成し、経験は蓄積され、絵画はその痕跡を保存し、批評的注意が時折その一部を認識し、そして後になってようやく、そのプロセスを記述し始めるための概念的語彙が現れたのです。最終的に私がアペイロンを理解しているのは、作品に外から押し付けられたアイデアではなく、長年にわたり知覚について思考し続けてきた作品群から生まれた名前だということです。

達成されたことは、知覚を「解決した」ことではありません。持続的なプラクシスによって、制作の内部にすでに存在していた知覚的知識の形態を、特定し、言語化し、さらに探求し続けることが可能になったということです。